Tuesday, July 17, 2012

"Spur of the Moment"

Spur of the moment trips are the BEST, right? This Saturday I worked all morning and came home to a cuddly husband and we watched "Dirty Dancing". Love.That.Movie. Dan even enjoyed it, but seriously who can resist Patrick Swayze? Not me! (or Dan, hehe) Well after laying around all afternoon, Dan had the wonderful idea of going to Parsons, Kansas, which is about 2 and a half hours away, to visit my Papa's grave. What a thoughtful man <3 I text message my Nana to let her know what we were up to and she informed me that my cousins Renea, Emma, Izzy, and Ben were in town from Iowa visiting my lovely Aunt Anita and Uncle John, so we decided to stop in and say hello! We even got to see our cousins Phillip and Erin too!  Well okay, actually we ended up swimming and staying the night! It was a blast!! We all stayed up late telling stories and laughing. I absolutely love family and we were so blessed to be able to spend some time with them! The next day (Sunday, just in case you lost track) we took the scenic drive back. We stopped at the nursing home to see my Great Grandma who is 100 years old and still just as beautiful as ever. She was happy to see us and it really warmed my heart to see her smile. Dan and I got to talk to her for a bit before she went to lunch, and boy is she spry! After visiting Great Grandma we were on our way to see BIG BRUTUS. Big Brutus is the biggest electric shovel in the world and is 16 stories tall! I can remember going there as a kid and exploring the inside. So of course Dan wanted to check it out! Well, it turns out it costs $8 to get in, so we just marveled at its beauty from the outside. Next, we were on our way to Pittsburg for some delicious fried chicken! Ever since I can remember any time my mom's family gets together we always go to "Chicken Annie's" for some fried chicken. Just thinking about it makes my mouth water! And it was just at yummy as I remember it!! Oh and I forgot to mention, on our way to Pittsburg, we drove through a nature area and of course we had to stop at every body of water so Dan could fish. And he did end up catching a few! The water was Dan's dream! The water was filled with beautiful lily pads which apparently is a fisherman's dream. Who knew? I am usually a little apprehensive when it comes to spur of the moment stuff, but this I am soooo glad we did! I cant wait to see my family again in September for my cousin, Phillip's wedding!! I hope ya'll had a wonder weekend and have a great rest of the week!!

Here's some pictures of our mini vacation:
Sorry this is sideways, just rotate your screen ;) This is my Papa's grave with all of his pretty flowers.
Me outside of "Chicken Annie's"! So full from all that chicken!
My Handsome hubby safely getting us to our destination ;)
And last of all, this is BIG BRUTUS!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment